About Me

My photo
IT professional & PMP certified project manager with 22+ years of working exp.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Business Intelligence : My View about QlikView

Hello

I cannot forget the day of Jan 2011, when my boss asked me to add a new arrow in our portfolio as Business Intelligence. I have no obligations to accept that this proposal was accepted with heavy heart. Being a Project Management Professional with Oracle Back Ground I wanted something related with my job role. I had some prior experience in BI, but I never thought it so seriously. But as usual every new thing always gives me a kick start to stay on. I started working on BI and evaluated many tools. I am sorry, I will not name here those tools and their shortcomings. After a study of appx 4 months, I zeroed in on QLIKVIEW. Keeping our working style in view, I thought this tool is really going to be a good addition in our portfolio/offerings. 

Here, I would like to give my sincere thanks to my Top Management who shown confidence in me and immediately approved initial investment as cost of learning. We started sailing and I must say this was not so hard. We were working on an absolutely new technology in business intelligence and found to be matching with our requirement. I would like to add my feelings about QlikView BI Tool.

1. Since this is in Memory tool so the information access is quite fast. Performance issues are otherwise always remains a critical problem in BI.

2. Associative search is quite powerful and it arms you with quick filtering and analysis of data.

3. It is easy to start with RAD methodology during implementation. I am sure this is very difficult in OLAP based BI implementation.  

4. Easy to develop and easy to modify. The immediate result makes a user very happy and he starts looking as positive gesture towards the new BI. Here I maintain my previous observation that any BI without user involvement is a wasteful implementation.

5. The best part is the initial investment is not too high and the incremental release is quite possible. That makes this tool as affordable and easily adopted.

6. No additional cost on data warehousing. 

7. No involvement of IT department is needed once the product is implemented. Users can create their reports themselves with little training. This is a great features.

However, I would also like to add some shortcomings which I felt during evaluations(personal opinion).

1. This tool may not be successful in very big corporate where the data size is too too big. But if an organization is working on departmentalized model, I am sure the tool will work good.

2. The tool is memory hungry. But since the hardware costs have drastically gone down, therefore this may not be a problem in coming time. Moreover, it does not need a high end server configuration therefore, some cost is balanced there.

3. I am not fully convinced with the display/color scemes of charts. In our previous MIS, we used Fusion Charts. I think there should be some option to integrate fusion charts with Qlikview.

4. Since the technology is not very old, therefore, it becomes increasingly difficult to create/find or maintain the skilled resources. In my opinion, QlikTech(the parent company) should define some methodology to create skilled resources in the market. I heard that some organizations dropped idea of implementing QlikView just because they were not getting skilled resources. This is probably a challenge in front of every one.

5. QlikTech should also organize workshop/Seminar/get-together etc in every part of the world(may in quarterly). They needs to be very aggressive like other BI tools in this area. Probably this is good way of spreading the awareness among peers and users.

These are my thought. You can add your findings and that will help others to learn about QlikView tool in depth. If I made some wrong comment, you are fully welcomed to revert please.

Thanks
Aman Vats
Program Manager 
Yamaha Motor Solutions India Pvt Ltd.

4 comments:

Mikey said...

This tool works well in very large organizations with terabytes of data, but it requires a skilled developer with good data warehouse and database design skills for it to work in these large environments. I have had direct experience working with huge data sources and QlikView handles the charts and reports very well. It loves hardware memory and that is usually the limiting factor.

Anonymous said...

hii,

QlikView works very well in large organization and with huge data base; but main thing is to handle data base and all scheduling with proficient way; this is memory based application ; so we have to optimized and reused
buffer so that the output comes very fast. If you have any query you will wellcome to ping me/mail me.
Nidhish
QV Consultant
India
nidhishmathur06@gmail.com
qvindia@gmail.com

Casey Dale said...

Organizations need to be assured the individuals that manage their projects can integrate methods to achieve sustainability goals and still achieve project specific objectives. Project Managers need credentials that validate their proficiency with these specialized qualities. PMP Certified and scrum certified project managers can learn, apply, and validate mastery of sustainability based project methods to meet these demands.

jaganwgl said...

Ahaa, its nice conversation about this piece of writing at this place at this blog, I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting at this place.relational databases are good for data entry and update, but they obscure information stored in the database from the user. QlikView's associative database is specially designed to allow users to get maximum benefit from all of the information stored in their databases Thanks. qlikview training